- jason at gohlke dot net
- San Francisco, CA 94109
My skills include web design, graphic design, writing, editing, digital and grassroots organizing, social media management, online advertising, project management, and communications strategy for non-profits and campaigns. I have expertise in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign), HTML, CSS, WordPress, WordPress theming, Drupal, The Raiser’s Edge, eTapestry, Mobile Commons, The Action Network, NationBuilder, Luminate Online, Salsa, NGP VAN/Every Action, Constant Contact, Google Analytics, Keynote, PowerPoint, Prezi, Basecamp, Asana, and Smartsheet. I also produce audio and video using iMovie, Garage Band, and Audacity (and am learning After Effects).
Pacific Forest Trust, San Francisco, California.
August 2017 – present
- Manage digital content and strategy; plan, write, and design for social media, email, and the web.
- Design, write, and manage print publications, including a newsletter and an annual report.
Led launch of The Action Network eCRM and established a digital advocacy program.
- Have raised click-to-open rate from 7.6% in 2017 to 13.9% in 2019, after adding new subscribers and quadrupling total emails opened, by using segmentation to deliver relevant, high-quality content.
- Design, write, and manage year-end fundraising appeal for print, email, web, and social media.
- Write and design event materials such as personalized auction programs and on-screen graphics.
- Manage vendor relationships and have managed interns and 1/4 of the time of an associate.
Shoot and edit video for online use.
The Next Generation, Oakland, California.
New Media Director
August 2016 – January 2017
- Planned and executed online strategies for organizations and electoral campaigns.
- Designed websites for electoral campaigns using NationBuilder & NGP VAN/Every Action.
- Wrote fundraising emails under tight deadlines that raised more than $50,000 for eight local candidates with small lists.
- Conceptualized, wrote, & designed ads that received 4.6 million impressions on Facebook, Google Adwords, and Google Display Network.
- Designed collateral and online content for the California Wilderness Coalition, including materials for their 40th anniversary celebration.
- Redesigned and reorganized TNG’s website for responsiveness and ease of use.
- Designed newspaper ads for electoral candidates.
California League of Conservation Voters, Oakland, California.
September 2008 – July 2016
- Managed a variety of projects, including publishing the annual California Environmental Scorecard in print and online.
- Managed relationships with vendors, including designers, printers, consultants, and developers.
- Wrote and edited a variety of content for email, web, and print.
- Launched CLCV’s mass text messaging capability in 2016 on Mobile Commons.
- Designed and developed responsive theme for CLCV’s Drupal website in 2014.
- Held primary responsibility for design & back end of Drupal & WordPress websites, including maintenance, updates, backup, and managing hosting and domains.
- Managed CLCV and CLCVEF’s online software services, Convio Luminate Online and Salsa.
- Designed on-screen graphics (including motion graphics) and printed materials for events, email, websites, and social media.
- Shot and edited video for web use.
- Launched organization’s social media efforts on Twitter and Facebook.
July 2005 – September 2008
- Wrote and edited a variety of content for email, web, and print.
- Improved the design, content, and timeliness of the California Environmental Scorecard.
- Designed content for websites and e-newsletter.
- Managed WordPress and static websites, web hosting, and domain registrations.
- Added a blog and video/audio podcasts to the website.
- Created and documented project management processes.
Membership Representative / Webmaster
October 2002 – June 2005
- Maintained and redesigned organization’s web site.
- Designed and wrote organization’s e-newsletter.
- Wrote and edited advocacy alerts, fundraising letters, and web content.
- Made fundraising and advocacy phone calls to prospects and existing donors.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, St. Paul, Minnesota.
August 2000 – August 2002
- Redesigned and maintained the website of a high-profile state agency.
- Worked closely with in-house developers to design the website’s CMS and admin interface.
- Participated in a collaborative process with many stakeholders during the redesign process.
- Ensured the department’s website met accessibility standards.
- Conducted usability tests before launching redesigned website.
MPIRG (MN Public Interest Research Group), Minneapolis, Minnesota.
December 1999 – July 2000
- Canvassed Twin Cities residents door to door for fundraising and political action.
- Served as field manager for a crew of up to 15 canvassers.
- Redesigned organization’s web site.
HBG New Media, Madison, Wisconsin.
January 1998-October 1999
- Led production on websites for clients such as Tiger Toys, McGraw-Hill, and Penton Publishing.
- Served as a key liaison between design, production, and technical staff.
- Innovated techniques to convert Photoshop layouts into HTML code and images.
- Designed comprehensive layouts and participated in client, creative, and traffic meetings.
Academic Resources and Computers in Housing (ARCH), UW-Madison.
Staff Consultant/Projects Specialist
January 1994 – May 1998 (Part-time)
- Planned and conducted software and academic training sessions.
- Provided desktop support and campus referrals to students in residence hall computer labs.
- Designed and coded 1997-98 version of computer/academic centers’ web site.
Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration, UW-Madison.
April 1997 – November 1997
- Selected as one of just 14 student ambassadors to new students and their parents for the University.
- Led a variety of informational sessions, campus tours, and informal conversations.
Brainwash Movie Festival, Oakland, California.
October 2004-October 2011
- Shared responsibility for operations of the festival with one other partner.
- Served as one of three festival judges and made programming decisions.
- Designed and maintained WordPress-based festival website.
- Designed, produced, and wrote copy for the festival’s collateral material (fliers, programs, newspaper ads, t-shirts, etc.).
- Assisted in producing and editing video trailers for the festival.
- Wrote speeches for the festival M.C. and content for festival trailers and original content.
California Democratic Party
Member, State Central Committee
December 2004 – December 2008
- Served as an elected and appointed delegate to the California state Democratic Party.
East Bay for Democracy (Democracy for America), Oakland, California.
Member, Steering Committee
2003 – 2006
- Helped organize local meetups and grassroots organizing events.
MyBallot.info, St. Paul, Minnesota.
2001 – 2006
- Designed an early personalized voter information site (still active with 2016 data at myballot.info).
Wisconsin High School Model United Nations (WHSMUN)
March 1994 – March 1998
- Coordinated staff recruitment for an annual conference held by the Institute of World Affairs at UW-Milwaukee.
- Trained college students in parliamentary procedure and conference rules.
- Chaired meetings of 15-600 high school students.
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Bachelor’s Degree with Distinction, 1998. 3.744 GPA. Double major in Political Science & Art (Graphic Design concentration).