- jason at gohlke dot net
- San Francisco, CA 94109
My skills include web design, graphic design, writing, editing, and project management. I have expertise in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign), HTML, CSS, WordPress, WordPress theming, Drupal, Raisers’ Edge, Mobile Commons, NationBuilder, Luminate Online, Salsa, NGP VAN/Every Action, Constant Contact, Google Analytics, Keynote, PowerPoint, Prezi, Microsoft Project, Asana, and Smartsheet. I have also produced audio and video content for online use (using iMovie, Garage Band, and Audacity).
Pacific Forest Trust, San Francisco, California.
August 2017 – present
- Write content for social media, email, web, and print.
- Write and design organization’s year-end fundraising materials.
- Create content and collateral for the organization’s annual fundraising event, including printed and on-screen materials.
- Plan and budget the organization’s external communications work.
- Manage a social media intern and an associate (1/4 FTE).
Archimetryx, San Francisco, California.
January 2017 – August 2017
- Began building a practice providing communications strategy, graphic design, and grassroots organizing services for progressive non-profits, political campaigns, and creatives.
The Next Generation, Oakland, California.
New Media Director
August 2016 – January 2017
- Planned and executed online strategies for organizations and electoral campaigns.
- Designed websites for electoral campaigns using NationBuilder & NGP VAN/Every Action.
- Wrote fundraising emails under tight deadlines that raised more than $50,000 for eight local candidates with small lists.
- Conceptualized, wrote, & designed ads that received 4.6 million impressions on Facebook, Google Adwords, and Google Display Network.
- Designed collateral and online content for the California Wilderness Coalition, including materials for their 40th anniversary celebration.
- Redesigned and reorganized TNG’s website for responsiveness and ease of use.
- Designed newspaper ads for electoral candidates.
California League of Conservation Voters, Oakland, California.
September 2008 – July 2016
- Managed a variety of projects, including publishing the annual California Environmental Scorecard in print and online.
- Managed relationships with vendors, including designers, printers, consultants, and developers.
- Wrote and edited a variety of content for email, web, and print.
- Launched CLCV’s mass text messaging capability in 2016 on Mobile Commons.
- Designed and developed responsive theme for CLCV’s Drupal website in 2014.
- Held primary responsibility for design & back end of Drupal & WordPress websites, including maintenance, updates, backup, and managing hosting and domains.
- Managed CLCV and CLCVEF’s online software services, Convio Luminate Online and Salsa.
- Designed on-screen graphics (including motion graphics) and printed materials for events, email, websites, and social media.
- Shot and edited video for web use.
- Launched organization’s social media efforts on Twitter and Facebook.
July 2005 – September 2008
- Wrote and edited a variety of content for email, web, and print.
- Improved the design, content, and timeliness of the California Environmental Scorecard.
- Designed content for websites and e-newsletter.
- Managed WordPress and static websites, web hosting, and domain registrations.
- Added a blog and video/audio podcasts to the website.
- Created and documented project management processes.
Membership Representative / Webmaster
October 2002 – June 2005
- Maintained and redesigned organization’s web site.
- Designed and wrote organization’s e-newsletter.
- Wrote and edited advocacy alerts, fundraising letters, and web content.
- Made fundraising and advocacy phone calls to prospects and existing donors.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, St. Paul, Minnesota.
August 2000 – August 2002. Full-time.
- Redesigned and maintained the website of a high-profile state agency.
- Worked closely with in-house developers to design the website’s CMS and admin interface.
- Participated in a collaborative process with many stakeholders during the redesign process.
- Ensured the department’s website met accessibility standards.
- Conducted usability tests before launching redesigned website.
MPIRG (MN Public Interest Research Group), Minneapolis, Minnesota.
December 1999 – July 2000. Full-time.
- Canvassed Twin Cities residents door to door for fundraising and political action.
- Served as field manager for a crew of up to 15 canvassers.
- Redesigned organization’s web site.
HBG New Media, Madison, Wisconsin.
January 1998-October 1999. Full-time.
- Led production on websites for clients such as Tiger Toys, McGraw-Hill, and Penton Publishing.
- Served as a key liaison between design, production, and technical staff.
- Innovated techniques to convert Photoshop layouts into HTML code and images.
- Designed comprehensive layouts and participated in client, creative, and traffic meetings.
Academic Resources and Computers in Housing (ARCH), UW-Madison.
Staff Consultant/Projects Specialist
January 1994 – May 1998. Part-time.
- Planned and conducted software and academic training sessions.
- Provided desktop support and campus referrals to students in residence hall computer labs.
- Designed and coded 1997-98 version of computer/academic centers’ web site.
Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration, UW-Madison.
April 1997 – November 1997. Full-time.
- Selected as one of just 14 student ambassadors to new students and their parents for the University.
- Led a variety of informational sessions, campus tours, and informal conversations.
Brainwash Movie Festival, Oakland, California.
October 2004-October 2011
- Shared responsibility for operations of the festival with one other partner.
- Served as one of three festival judges and made programming decisions.
- Designed and maintained WordPress-based festival website.
- Designed, produced, and wrote copy for the festival’s collateral material (fliers, programs, newspaper ads, t-shirts, etc.).
- Assisted in producing and editing video trailers for the festival.
- Wrote speeches for the festival M.C. and content for festival trailers and original content.
California Democratic Party
Member, State Central Committee
December 2004-December 2008
- Served as an elected delegate to the California state Democratic Party.
Wisconsin High School Model United Nations (WHSMUN)
March 1994 – March 1998
- Coordinated staff recruitment for an annual conference held by the Institute of World Affairs at UW-Milwaukee.
- Trained college students in parliamentary procedure and conference rules.
- Chaired meetings of 15-600 high school students.
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Bachelor’s Degree with Distinction, 1998. 3.744 GPA. Double major in Political Science & Art (Graphic Design concentration).
For more information, read a narrative of my career highlights at http://gohlke.net/narrative.